Monday, 21 December 2015

Shortest Day

We really are in the depths of darkness at the moment, with hardly any daylight, or at least that's how it feels to me. Eventually the sun pops its head over the horizon and sometimes I get the chance to watch a beautiful sunrise, so long as it's not a cloudy day. I'm always pleased when the 21st December arrives because I can kid myself that from now onwards we're heading back towards Summer. Yay.


I've wanted to have a go at knitting socks for a while and I started to give it a go at the beginning of the month. I was absolutely useless with double pointed needles, nearly had my eye out and kept poking myself in the chest. So I looked for another way and found the (long) circular needle method where you have half the stitches on one needle, half on the other, with the excess floppy part of it sticking out in between. It looked really easy online and I was sure that I'd found the best method for me, but I couldn't get to grips with that either. I then tried a pattern which can be made on straight needles and seamed together later. I was getting along perfectly until I reached the heel. I'm still trying to work out what I'm supposed to do next so no socks yet but I'm determined that I WILL make socks one day.

Despite being frustrated about the lack of socks, I've continued to use up some left-over scraps to crochet a small blanket for one of our cats to curl up on at home, or to be used as a liner in a cat carrier. I really enjoyed choosing the colours and making it. I couldn't get either cat to pose nicely for me so the stuffed one will have to do in their absence.



I've started another blanket in different colours for the other cat and hope that I can get it done in time for Christmas. Have a Merry one and a Happy New Year too.

No comments:

Post a Comment