Monday, 21 September 2015

Preparing for a CAL

I'm going to be taking part in the Spice of Life CAL, which features a lovely blanket designed by Sandra Paul of the Cherry Heart blog and Black Sheep Wools. The first part will be available to start making tomorrow so I've been trying to get ready in anticipation. 


For the first time ever I made a swatch of 15 stitches by 10 rows to test my gauge and it didn't go very well. Despite using three different hook sizes (3.5 mm, 4 mm and 4.5 mm), none of them were wide enough and only one of them came out the correct height (4 inches).

I was going to use a bag of bits of mixed yarn given to me by a relative as I thought it would use it up but I've since changed my mind because if I have problems with gauge using just one type of yarn, a mixture of different types might just make matters worse.


Instead I'm opting for Stylecraft Special double knitting in the following colours - pale rose, violet, clematis, apricot, grape, candyfloss, soft peach, raspberry, cream, plum, wisteria, fondant, magenta and lavender. Should make a very nice stripey blanket!

No comments:

Post a Comment