In the Spring I decided that I wanted to reduce some of the odd amounts of yarn that I had left over from other craft projects and started by picking up some blue Aran and brown varigated bulky yarns.
I don't remember how or why I started making flowers but I realised quite early on that I'd have to use about two thirds varigated to a third blue in order that I wouldn't run out of one before the other.
I joined the flowers together as I made them and tried to spread the blue as evenly as I could throughout my work.
After I'd made a rectangular piece of about twenty flowers I decided that I didn't want a scarf and wondered if I could make something that went around me instead.
As I added more and more flowers I began to think about how I was going to finish the edge and then thoughts of turning it into a poncho began to emerge.
One particular poncho came to mind, Cowl Neck Poncho by Simone Francis. I knew straight away that I wanted to have a go at a cowl for the neck so I dug out some more Aran, this time in cream.
By this time the weather had warmed up and I was beginning to wonder how on earth I was going to attach the flowers to the granny part of the cowl that I'd made.
I left it alone over the Summer and well into the Autumn too before I picked it up again and then I had a good think. I decided to simply sew the flower section on to the granny part of the cowl from the inside in two stages.
First of all I went around one granny round sewing into the tip of the upper most petal of each flower. On the second granny round (below the first one) I sewed into the tips of the petals on either side of the upper most petal of each flower. All that sewing seems to have secured it in place.
I was going to continue using the Cowl Neck Poncho pattern underneath the flower section but settled upon a round of flowers without a fringe instead.
So my twist on the Cowl Neck Poncho is complete :-)