Thursday, 8 June 2017

Butterflies in the Mist

I started my Butterflies in the Mist shawl in the Autumn of last year when the first mists and foggy mornings of the season began.


The pattern, Butterfly Stitch Prayer Shawl, is freely available on Ravelry where there are lots of lovely projects to have a look at. I've spent many an hour or two just going through and looking at what other people have made, seeing how it looks in different colours and the alternative borders that people have picked.


I decided to use a 3.5 mm hook and Stylecraft Senses Lace which is mostly acrylic with a small amount of mohair.


For the border I wanted something really pretty so I picked #147 from Edie Eckman's Around the Corner Crochet Borders book. I substituted puff stitches with treble clusters simply because I found them easier to create with the fuzzy yarn.


When I plucked up the courage to steam block the whole thing I was so worried that I'd 'kill' it that my first attempt with an iron didn't take because I hovered about four inches above it in fear of doing just that. I was also worried about dropping the iron on it too so for my next attempt I got the steam cleaner out.


Then nothing held me back, I blocked away until it was done and had to resist the temptation to remove the pins too early.


When I allowed myself to unpin the shawl I was amazed by the result. I don't know if I've over or under blocked it (I doubt the latter) but the shawl has transformed from its former fuzzy self into a light, airy, drapey, floaty loveliness which I can't resist wrapping around me.


I enjoyed creating the butterflies and making this shawl so much that I plan on making another. I've already got some yarn in mind but will wait for this year's Autumn mists and fog to descend before I make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment