Sunday, 1 March 2015

Spring Grannies

It's officially the first day of Spring today and the start of the time of year when we see spotty green returning to trees and flowers bursting in to life. We also gain nearly two hours of daylight in the evenings between now and the end of the month after the clocks have gone forward! What's not to like?

I've been busy making granny squares for the past couple of weeks.  I'm not sure how many I will make in total as I still haven't decided on the final size of the blanket that I intend to turn them in to.

Cuppa Crochet

I'm including sixteen different colours (using cream twice as much as any other colour) and trying to ensure that every set of seventeen squares contains roughly the same amount of each colour as well as spreading each colour evenly throughout the squares.  It's a bit hit and miss but will hopefully ensure that I don't run out of any of the colours as I go along.

Cuppa Crochet

I've made fifty squares so far, sewing in the ends of nearly all of them as I was going along because it's such a tedious job if you leave it until the end.

Cuppa Crochet

The colours remind me of an explosion of Spring flowers including tulips, grape hyacinths, wallflowers, forget-me-nots and primroses.

Cuppa Crochet

I'm trying to ensure that each square is unique in its colour combination which gets more and more difficult as I go along because I have to keep checking that I have not previously used a combination of colours within a square in exactly the same places as another square.

Cuppa Crochet

Cuppa Crochet

Cuppa Crochet

Cuppa Crochet

Find the Spring Grannies/Colour Riot Update here, the Grannying Backwards update here and the Chicken or Egg update here.