Saturday, 28 March 2015

Grannying Backwards

Here we are another couple of weeks on from when I last posted about my Spring Colour Riot blanket.  I was progressing well (I thought) and a couple of days ago I finished going around and around in treble crochet followed by one of Edie Eckman's lovely borders, #75 from Around the Corner Crochet Borders.


I was feeling quite chuffed with it all...


...then when I laid the blanket out on a completely flat surface I noticed that the border was too big for the middle of the blanket or the middle of the blanket was too tightly put together for the border.  Either way the middle has be made bigger so I decided to unpick the seams and add a round of double crochet to each square.


I then intended to join the seams again by slip stitching rather than double crocheting as I'd done the first time around.

These squares look very familiar lying on the table again!  But not with the piles of seam yarn which accompany them!!!


To make matters worse, I don't think that I've got enough cream yarn left and the batch number has already sold out from where I bought it.  Aargh!


I've collected together all that I can find and if I'm very, very, very lucky I might just make it if I use every last scrap including the little bits left over from the seams, which will take less yarn second time around because I'll be slip stitching, not double crocheting.  If not, I'll have to buy any old cream for the seaming or decide to use another colour.  


What a sorry state this blanket is in - you can tell I'm a novice!

Find the Chicken or Egg update here.

4 comments:

  1. OH NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! I came over for some mutual blankety admiration, but I'm so sorry to see that all hasn't turned out as hoped - you must feel so frustrated!! I had a similar edging problem with an earlier blanket of mine, but fortunately mine was a baby blanket, and therefore not such a big job. I hope your current solution works out for you, but on future blankets you could try the same method I use. Bunny Mummy also uses it, and has done a tutorial on her blog which you can find here: http://bunnymummy-jacquie.blogspot.com.au/2011/06/how-to-make-flat-border-for-granny.html
    I really hope that your blanket works out, as it is so gorgeous - the colours are perfect, and the border you chose is beautiful!! I have that same book, and I'm thinking that I'll have to have a go with that border sometime as it's so pretty. Your hooking is so neat and even too - beautiful! :)
    Dx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link to Bunny Mummy - I've had a look and will definitely look again next time I start a border. As for my blanket, I'm still working on it and the problems should be rectified soon, fingers crossed!

      Delete
  2. Hello! I think your quilt is beautiful - I've seen it on the chbal on Ravelry. I love the colours and the border is very pretty. Can I ask, what yarn is it?
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping over from Ravelry - I love your finished blanket! I'm making mine with Stylecraft Special DK because it is available in about 70 different colours so loads of shades to choose from.

      Delete