Tuesday, 16 December 2014

Twilight Ripples Blanket

I received another delivery of Stylecraft double knitting in September and after looking at lots of blankets on Etsy I decided that I wanted to make a ripples blanket. 

Cuppa Crochet

After looking at lots of pictures of different blankets I could pretty much work out how the ripples were constructed, however, when I tried to make the first few rows they wouldn't lie with a straight edge at the bottom.  I found that I needed to use a 5mm hook to make the foundation chain and then switch to a 3.5mm hook for the rest of the blanket in order that it came out straight.

Back in September I still hadn't realised that I wasn't crocheting properly either so my stitches have a chain one after each one of them (the 'how not to crochet' method).  That is why the blanket looks a bit gappy and turned out quite a bit wider than anticipated!

At the top and bottom of the blanket I added a couple of rows of stitches that varied in height to give a blocked edge to which I added rounds of half trebles and finished with a picot edging. 

Cuppa Crochet

Cuppa Crochet

The colours and ripples remind me of twilight reflections on waves and how the shades of colour change in the sky and over the landscape once the sun has set.

Cuppa Crochet

I'd like to make another ripples blanket one day, perhaps using a different colour for each row rather then two rows of the same colour at a time.

Cuppa Crochet

In no particular order, the colours that I used to make this blanket were: Plum, Lavender, Magenta, Candyfloss, Wisteria, Fondant, Raspberry, Clematis, Violet, Grape, Mocha, Pale Rose, Apricot and Soft Peach.

No comments:

Post a Comment