Monday, 22 December 2014

Frilly Catherine Wheels

I had a small amount of yarn left over after completing my Twilight Ripples blanket so searched on crochet blogs for something that I could make with it.  It didn't take me long to find According to Matt's Japanese Flower blanket which is an absolute work of art.  Using his blanket as inspiration I created my own motif, the Frilly Catherine Wheel.
Cuppa Crochet

My small bundle of yarn would only stretch as far as a scarf that just fits inside a coat collar.  As I made it at the back end of October before I realised that I wasn't crocheting properly, it was made using my 'how not to crochet' method but it doesn't look at odds in any way to me.

Cuppa Crochet

The Frilly Catherine Wheels don't take long to make and look really lovely once they are all joined together. I'd like to use this motif again to make something on a larger scale in the future.

Cuppa Crochet

The way I made each Frilly Catherine Wheel in English terms follows:
  • Chain 6 and join with a slip stitch to form a ring.
  • Treble crochet in the ring, chain 1. Repeat 11 times and join with a slip stitch.
  • Treble crochet in a treble stitch in the previous round, chain 2. Repeat 11 times and join with a slip stitch.
  • Treble crochet, chain 1, 3 times in a chain 2 space of the previous round. Repeat 11 times and join with a slip stitch.
  • Double crochet in the chain space between triple trebles in chain 2 spaces in previous round, chain 6. Repeat 11 times and join with a slip stitch.
  • Double crochet, chain 1, 6 times in a chain 6 space of the previous round. For a single frilly wheel, repeat 11 times and join with a slip stitch. To join a frilly wheel to another, after the third double crochet, chain 1, slip stitch in to the corresponding chain on another frilly wheel, then carry on with the instructions for a single frilly wheel, making any further joins where required.

Cuppa Crochet

No comments:

Post a Comment